We all get burned out from time to time. This is normal. I was thinking about this because I haven’t seen an article regarding this topic. (Maybe one exists and I’m not aware) Anyways I wanted to talk about this because I’ve had moments feeling kind of burned out. I want to make a disclaimer that I love blogging and podcasting and all the things I do. But sometimes as much as I love my jobs I sometimes get burned out. And that’s when I need to take some time and recharge. I also want to make a point that I’m an introvert and I need a lot of time to process things that happen to me.
So what can we do for someone whose burned out? Here are five things you can do.
- Understand that they may need to take a time out. What does that mean exactly? It means maybe they need to go for a walk or even more so a day alone. Or maybe they need to stop doing a certain project for a day or two. Maybe sitting down and having a discussion about this would help?
- Help that person come up with solutions. Maybe they need to cut back on work projects? Maybe they need to take a day for them once a week? having that discussion would help.
- Help that person come up with things they can do to take better care of themselves. maybe suggest they go to a spa? Maybe suggest they take a small vacation? Maybe go with them? Whatever is best for them
- Be there for them no matter what. Let them vent to you and understand that they aren’t directing anything at you. this can be a common source of misunderstanding. Sometimes someone’s venting and we take it like they are yelling at us. Just establishing that fact would help.
- Help them acknowledge the burnout. Sometimes people shove it away and deny it. This isn’t healthy.